Kia America has announced the launch of its first NFT collection based on "Robo Dog," the robot puppy of Kia's Super Bowl spot. The company said in a press release the initiative is part of the partnership with NFT marketplace Sweet and The Petfinder Foundation.

Kia plans to sell 10,000 Robo Dog NFTs — minted on the Tezos blockchain — starting from February 13 at a starting bid of $299. The company added it plans to use up to 90% of all primary sales proceeds benefiting The Petfinder Foundation "to help animals in need find their forever homes." The remaining 10% royalties from each NFT transaction on the secondary market will also benefit the animals.

Russell Wager, Vice President at Kia America, noted that pet surrenders to shelters are increasing as people "return to work and there are many pets whose stories deserve to end as happily as Robo Dog's did in our Super Bowl spot."

Read also: Disney is looking for NFT experts for metaverse business

Earlier, To The Moon reported that Coachella, an annual music and arts festival held at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California, also sold "one-of-a-kind" non-fungible tokens that will give their owners lifetime festival passes.

The festival initiative was supported by FTX US, and the digital collectibles were dropped on the "environmentally friendly" marketplace by Solana.